Student Government (SG) was established in 1902 to serve as the official voice of the student body at The University of Texas at Austin. All students-including undergraduate and graduate students-are members of Student Government. SG represents the student body to the administration of the University, to the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System, to the City of Austin, to the Texas Legislature and to the US Congress.
Our mission is to earnestly represent the interests of students, to preserve and protect the traditions and legends of the University, and to support students and student organizations in their academic and community endeavors.
The vision of our administration is driven by the two meanings of our slogan, “Let’s Rally” - the definition and the acronym. To rally is to come together for common action, and we RALLY to Represent All Longhorns Like You!
Diversity & Inclusion
1) Bridge campus through monthly events that connect diverse students and facilitate dialogue between differing opinions
2) Create a new Student Government position that collaborates with the Gender & Sexuality Center and Multicultural Engagement Center
3) Support trans students in the process of changing their names on diplomas to reflect their gender identity
1) Institute off-campus services for students with disabilities
2) Secure an accessible van for UT’s Police Department
Addressing Sexual Assault
1) Work with Voices Against Violence, Student Emergency Services, and Title IX to permanently fund the Interpersonal Violence Peer Support Program
2) Expand training for on and off-campus resident assistants on sexual assault prevention and intervention
1) Create a textbook exchange program
2) Expand paid career-oriented opportunities on campus
3) Work with apartment complexes to allow non-conventional guarantor forms
4) Create an online database with student housing options available in Austin
1) Integrate interest specific service opportunities into all First-Year Interest Groups
2) Increase the impact of UT’s day of service, The Project
Spirit & Tradition
1) Collaborate with UT and A&M Athletics and Aggie students to revive the A&M football game